The second special counsel said on the 20th that former Prosecutor General Shim Woo-jung was indicted on charges including taking part in the Dec. 3 rebellion.
According to the special counsel, from the time of the declaration of martial law on Dec. 3, 2024 until the early hours of the next day, the former prosecutor general is accused of organizing procedures to dispatch prosecutors to the Joint Investigation Headquarters of the Martial Law Command and having a list of dispatched prosecutors prepared.
He is also accused of having a document drafted reviewing investigative and trial jurisdiction for the investigation and indictment of those who violated the proclamation, and of instructing an internal dedicated prosecution team to be considered for those who violated the proclamation.
Through this, the special counsel judged that he engaged in an important mission of the rebellion and abused his authority to make prosecutors belonging to the Supreme Prosecutors' Office do work they were not obligated to do. He was also charged with directing the withdrawal of an immediate appeal against the decision to cancel the detention of former President Yoon Suk-yeol.
The special counsel also indicted former Supreme Prosecutors' Office Planning and Coordination Director General Jeon Mu-gon on the same charges that day.
The former Director General is accused of conspiring with the former prosecutor general to have prosecutors of the Supreme Prosecutors' Office Planning and Coordination Department review jurisdiction and procedures for investigations and trials of those who violated the martial law proclamation, and to have documents such as those on trial jurisdiction under martial law drafted and reported.
The special counsel said, "During the search and seizure of the Supreme Prosecutors' Office, it was confirmed that documents titled '241203 Martial Law Investigation Team (candidates),' 'Procedure organization,' and 'Trial jurisdiction under martial law, etc.' were drafted," adding, "We also identified that prosecutor lists in various formats were prepared or reviewed."
Earlier, on the 14th of last month, the special counsel sought arrest warrants for the former prosecutor general and the former Director General on the same charges. However, the court rejected the request, citing that the suspects have fixed residences and there is no concern about destruction of evidence or flight.
The special counsel said it "will do its utmost to prove the allegations in future court proceedings."