The government said a South Korean-flagged oil tanker carrying Kuwaiti crude has received approval from Iran and is exiting the Strait of Hormuz. This is the first time a South Korean vessel that had been stuck near the Strait of Hormuz since the war between the United States and Iran broke out on Feb. 28 has set out to transit.

Minister Cho Hyun of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said at a Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee inquiry on the afternoon of the 20th that "at this very moment our oil tanker, in consultation with the Iranian side, is exiting the Strait of Hormuz."

UNIVERSAL WINNER's route /Courtesy of MarineTraffic

The South Korean-flagged vessel currently passing through the Strait of Hormuz is known to be the HMM-affiliated tanker Universal Winner. The vessel is proceeding through waters south of Iran's Larak Island along a route approved by Iranian authorities. The tanker is said to be carrying 2 million barrels of Kuwaiti crude purchased by SK Innovation.

An SK Innovation official said, "The vessel is scheduled to enter Ulsan Port around June 10." On the navigation information platform MarineTraffic, the Universal Winner's estimated time of arrival at Ulsan Port is shown as 3 p.m. on June 8.

HMM oil tanker UNIVERSAL WINNER /Courtesy of MarineTraffic

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Iran notified on the night of the 18th, Korea time, that one of our vessels could transit the Strait of Hormuz. The government conveyed this to the shipping company, and HMM decided to proceed with the transit after an internal review.

The Universal Winner began operating in waters near Qatar early on the 19th and is expected to pass through the Gulf of Oman during the day along the route proposed by Iran.

During this transit, the government is said not to have paid the transit fees or safe-navigation charges that Iran has publicly demanded. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs explained that the vessel did not stay or work near an Iranian port, so there is no possibility it will be subject to U.S. sanctions. A Ministry of Foreign Affairs official said, "We are closely consulting with the United States on important matters."

Once the Universal Winner exits the Strait of Hormuz, the number of South Korean-flagged vessels stranded near the strait will decrease from 26 to 25. However, whether additional South Korean vessels will transit has not yet been decided.

※ This article has been translated by AI. Share your feedback here.