On Aug. 18, the first day of the 2026 Eulji exercise, President Lee Jae-myung said, "The wartime operational control transfer must be carried out without a hitch during the term in line with the government's original plan."

That morning at Cheong Wa Dae, Lee presided over the first Eulji Cabinet meeting and said, "In terms of weapons systems and force levels, our capability to defend ourselves is already among the top in the world. It is no exaggeration to say it 'more than overflows.'"

Lee Jae-myung, the president, speaks at the first Eulji State Council meeting at the Blue House on the 18th. /Courtesy of News1

In addition to reclaiming wartime operational control during the term, he also urged speeding up ▲ the nuclear-powered submarine (nuclear sub) program ▲ and preparations to establish a Korea Military Academy. Lee said, "To make national defense more solid, it is essential to upgrade operational capabilities across the board and to establish a talent development system to achieve that together," adding, "To prepare for future warfare where the lines of the battlefield have become meaningless, we must also cultivate officers with integrated operational capabilities, so please proceed with preparations to establish the Korea Military Academy without wavering."

Regarding nuclear subs included in the joint fact sheet produced from last year's South Korea–U.S. summit, he said, "A robust South Korea–U.S. alliance and the strengthening of autonomous defense capabilities are both necessary and sufficient conditions for each other," adding, "The stronger the alliance, the sturdier the foundation of security becomes, and the more we build our own strength, the greater the alliance's value and necessity grow." He continued, "I also hope you will accelerate the nuclear submarine program that will symbolize a more constructive and solid future for the South Korea–U.S. alliance."

◇Trump orders scaling back of South Korea–U.S. combined drills on the eve of the Eulji exercise

Lee's remarks came right after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the Department of War to drastically scale back the South Korea–U.S. combined drill "Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS)." On Aug. 16 (local time), Trump wrote on Truth Social, "Given that it was too late to cancel, I directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to drastically scale back the South Korea–U.S. combined exercise."

He also said, "Given that North Korea's Chairperson Kim Jong-un and I have a very good relationship, I have long disliked the fact that the United States agreed to participate in joint military exercises with South Korea," adding, "It sends a completely inappropriate and hostile signal."

The South Korea–U.S. combined exercise is a drill the two countries have conducted annually to secure deterrence against North Korea. In June 2018, after Trump held a summit with North Korea's State Affairs Commission Chairperson Kim Jong-un, he abruptly declared a halt to combined drills, and major combined exercises were in fact reduced or abolished. Under this directive, a situation similar to eight years ago could be replayed.

In response, Cheong Wa Dae said, "We hope that the friendly relationship between the U.S. and North Korean leaders will lead to meaningful U.S.-North Korea dialogue and the opening of discussions to advance peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula," adding, "Under close South Korea–U.S. coordination, we will make the necessary diplomatic efforts as a pacemaker."

※ This article has been translated by AI. Share your feedback here.