Riot Games releases 2XKO, a two-player co-op fighting game based on League of Legends (LoL), in January 2026. /Courtesy of Riot Games

Riot Games will end new content development due to the poor performance of the fighting game "2XKO," released last year.

Riot Games said on the 20th (local time), "We concluded that the number of 2XKO players was not sufficient to establish a foundation to continue development," adding, "We will end new development at the end of 2026."

The game servers will continue to operate after 2026. Riot Games plans to release two new champions by December and roll out a final bug-fix patch.

Riot Games also said that all champions will be unlocked immediately, and it plans to release bundle products that include most cosmetic items.

Payments made before Aug. 21 will be fully refunded.

Regarding the suspension of 2XKO's development, Riot Games said, "Our goal was to secure the trust of the core player base, then gradually add new features and content to grow the player count," adding, "While dedicated tag-fighting players showed strong support for 2XKO, other players did not find reasons to keep playing."

It continued, "Even when we released new content, there were no steady and noticeable changes in the game's momentum," adding, "Over time, it became clear that developing the game as we are now would be impossible, and operating costs began to exceed revenue."

It added, "We will continue to explore new genres and look for ways to bring players together."

2XKO is a game in which champions from League of Legends (LoL) appear and engage in 2-on-2 tag-style fighting. It launched in early access in Oct. last year and entered full service in Jan. this year.

As 2XKO's performance fell short of expectations, Riot Games carried out restructuring in Feb., cutting the size of the development team in half.

※ This article has been translated by AI. Share your feedback here.