Actor Hwang Jung-eum returned after a year following allegations of embezzling 4.3 billion won. In the meantime, a goodwill toy giveaway she held was unfairly criticized, but many people are sending support to Hwang Jung-eum as she returned with hope.

Hwang Jung-eum's activities were temporarily suspended over the "4.3 billion won embezzlement." In July 2022, after taking out an 800 million won loan in the company's name, she transferred about 700 million won to her personal account under the name of "temporary payments" and was investigated for investing it in cryptocurrency, and by October of the same year she moved and invested about 4.2 billion won in the same manner over 13 transactions. It was also revealed that she spent millions of won of company funds on personal costs such as property tax·local government tax payments, card bills, and stock collateral loan interest.

During the trial, Hwang Jung-eum, who admitted all the charges, cried in court when she was sentenced to two years in prison with four years of probation. I am sorry for causing concern. I had never even been near a police station, so I cried when I heard the sentence result, she said, and she accepted the verdict without appeal.

As of Nov. 27, 2025, Hwang Jung-eum ended her exclusive contract with her former agency Y-1 Entertainment and set out on her own, but her troubles did not end there. Her one-person agency, Hunnimjeongeum Entertainment, which she headed and operated as a one-person agency, was reported to have been operating without registering as a one-person agency. Hwang Jung-eum, who belatedly completed the registration process, apologized, saying, "Everything came from my shortcomings."

Facing back-to-back controversies over the 4.3 billion won embezzlement case and operating an unregistered one-person agency, Hwang Jung-eum earlier this year faced unexpected backlash over a goodwill toy giveaway and was unfairly criticized. While giving away toys her two sons used, the toys were placed on the floor among items that looked like discarded furniture, appearing unorganized, which led to criticism. A debate raged between reactions that it was a good intention but the method was regrettable and that it was excessive criticism, and Hwang Jung-eum's goodwill was tarnished.

After spending time in reflection amid controversy and unfair criticism, Hwang Jung-eum stood in front of the camera after a year. Opening a YouTube channel with her own name, Hwang Jung-eum said, "Many people know that there was a big incident. I was busy dealing with that. The year felt like a month," and said she had paid all advertising penalties and other fees related to the embezzlement case.

Saying she resolved things on her own without anyone's help, Hwang Jung-eum said, "I was able to endure because of the children. Some people may criticize me for doing YouTube during the period of self-reflection. I think that's natural. I accept everything and think I should ask forgiveness for my mistakes. I should work hard at something until many people feel at ease," she said.

Subscribers cheered Hwang Jung-eum's return with comments such as, "We should not casually judge or easily define someone else's life. Smile a lot, please stay strong," "You still sparkle. Please share news often," "Glad to see you again and hope to see you in a drama after a long time," and "Thank you for coming back," supporting her new start.

Meanwhile, Hwang Jung-eum has had a gap as an actress since SBS's 7인의 부활 aired in 2024. Expanding the scope to variety shows, she has not been notably active since hosting SBS Plus's Solo-ness, which ended in 2025.

[OSEN]

※ This article has been translated by AI. Share your feedback here.